Adding Trex Protect to Your Deck Substructure
Trex Protect Joist and Beam Tape can be applied to horizontal and vertical surfaces.
Trex Protect Tape is available in two widths making it convenient to apply to double beams and joists. Use 1-5/8″ (4.12 cm) Joist Tape for joists and 3-1/8″ (7.94 cm) Beam Tape on all double beams.
To calculate the amount of tape you will need, use the materials estimator
View the video below to become familiar with the installation process or read and/or download the installation sheet for step-by-step instructions to apply Trex Protect to all the joists and beams of the deck substructure.
- Open the wrapper
- Cut the tape to the desired length and remove the tape backing
- Apply Trex Protect to all the joists, rim joists, beams, and ledger board
Important General Tips:
- For best results, The Trex Protect Tape should be installed when temperatures are at least 50F° or 10C° or higher.
- If installing in cold weather or when the joists are wet, staple Trex Protect to hold it in place while attaching the deck boards. The tape will seal when the product warms above 40F° or 4.5C°.
- Make sure all application surfaces are dry and free from dirt and debris.
- Apply Trex Protect carefully to avoid tears or creases in the surface.