Using deck flashing tape should be a requirement for any homeowner or builder looking to construct a new deck. Regardless of the material you use for your deck boards, most substructures use timber that causes rot and decay in about 8-10 years. Protecting the deck substructure can extend the life of your deck.
Here are the top five reasons why.
- Protect your Deck Substructure from Moisture Applying a deck flashing tape shields the tops of joists, rim joists, ledger boards and beams from moisture. Water that penetrates the substructure through the screw holes can eventually lead to rot and decay.
- Holds Screws in Place Longer A butyl-based flashing tape applied as a ‘cap’ (vs. wrapping) hold screws in place, which helps them last longer. That is because the deck flashing tape prevents moisture penetration and defends the timber from splitting, resulting from seasonal freezing and thawing. Deck flashing tape can extend the life of the deck substructure.
- Easy Installation Applying a peel-and-stick deck flashing tape is easy to install and requires almost no trimming. Self-adhesive butyl tape lies directly on the boards and involves minimum cuts with little overlap making installation a breeze.
- Affordable Price The cost of deck flashing tape for an average-size 20′ x 12′ deck cost less than $130.00. It’s a no-brainer for any homeowner or builder to add this to the project’s cost to ensure that the deck substructure lasts as long as the decking it supports. Why build a deck that is warranted to last 20+ years when the foundation starts to decay at 8-10 years? Deck flashing tape can prevent this from happening.
- Strong Return on Your Investment Adding a deck to your home is an investment. On average, a homeowner can expect to recoup about 83% of the cost of building a new wood deck and about 65% of a composite deck* when the time comes to sell a home. Using deck flashing tape helps to prolong the life of the deck substructure, ensuring the homeowner can maximize their return on investment.
Keep in mind that all deck flashing tapes are not the same. Click here to view a comparison chart of the leading deck flashing tapes available today before you decide what product to buy. Regardless of your choice, deck flashing tape is a wise investment if you want to prolong the life of your deck.